Pop Chinn Stew. That's what Ken called his circumstantial evidence case he tried in 1983 as a young Deputy DA. I listened as he painted a wonderful word picture of his father putting together various ingredients to make a delicious pot of stew. It's been 30 years but that image of his father making the stew hasn't left my mind. In honor of Ken's dad, Vernon Chinn, we want to make some Chinn Stew of our own. Stop by from time to time and enjoy some Chinn Stew as we share some of our family happenings.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

From Ken, 8-15-12

Wednesday, 8-15-12. 
 
Monday brought signs of a noticeable cooling trend with a drizzling rain much of the day and cool breezes. After a fitful night's sleep with the monsoon conditions, we were ready for the change and hope it marks a beginning of a change in the seasons.

Today it was off the the faculty retreat. All were gracious in welcoming me and we got down to the business at hand with reports from the faculty of their summer ministry work around the world. So often in my legal career I remember thinking,"someday, I would love to be able to do _____". Well, this is a group of faculty where "someday" is now! Tales of travels to the far stretches of the planet and "hands on" ministry in the area of human rights and support of missions flowed like water. I'm hesitant to describe the locations and specific projects that were described for fear of inaccuracy or the possibility of compromising some of the work. I felt an excitement and very serious atmosphere that was prevalent in the late 19th and early 20th century in mission and ministry work. This is a faculty that is living the dream.

We then spent much of the two day conference with a presentation and discussion on ethics with Dr. Miyon Chung, a systematic theology professor with Torch Trinity Seminary in Seoul. I won't pretend that I understood all of the discussion that took place during those two days, but what I did understand was that she is an exceptionally bright and thoughtful woman who loves the Lord and is seeking to serve Him with her whole heart. In her final moments with the faculty she shared some parts of her personal testimony. Several of her family perished in the cultural revolution in China. Dr. Chung was born in Seoul, but her family emigrated to the US where she received her education. She now uses her compensation at Torch Trinity to finance personal mission trips when she is not teaching. Her mission trips have taken her to remote, primitive and dangerous parts of the world. She has a brother who is a missionary with a wife and young children in a very dangerous part of the world that has been filled with violent conflict. She shared her personal struggle with the thought of the risk to them in a poignant way that ultimately resulted in an incredible prayer of dedication of them to the Lord's work despite her very real human concerns. What a privilege I felt to have this little glimpse into her life. What a testimony she and the faculty at Handong are of the very practical application of the concepts they are teaching in the classroom in their personal lives.

I cannot begin to express the admiration I feel for the men and women I am meeting at Handong University. In many ways, I think that I have only scratched the surface of the stories that are here. I've suspected for some time that our time in Korea was more about what the Lord wanted to do in my life and the life of our family than what I would impart to the students in my classes. I'm already starting to see that happen.

Today we head out to some of the street markets of Pohong, which haven't changed much in the last 100 years, to lay in some supplies. Korea has lots of Walmart type stores, but Susan tells us the "deals" and excitement are in the street markets. Hopefully Susan and the kids can fill you in on the sights, smells and details of this adventure.

Ken

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Chinn's, for sharing your journey...I look forward to the regular updates...especially from the eyes of the children. It was especially refreshing to read Mary's experiences...and yes, those flat escalators that pull your cart up or down are amazing :)

    We continue to pray for your adjustment from the home base here at TLS - Blessings, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all. You can count on me to check in with your adventures on a regular basis. I am thinking of you all and wishing you the best of adventures.
    Love,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete