Pop Chinn Stew. That's what Ken called his circumstantial evidence case he tried in 1983 as a young Deputy DA. I listened as he painted a wonderful word picture of his father putting together various ingredients to make a delicious pot of stew. It's been 30 years but that image of his father making the stew hasn't left my mind. In honor of Ken's dad, Vernon Chinn, we want to make some Chinn Stew of our own. Stop by from time to time and enjoy some Chinn Stew as we share some of our family happenings.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Few words from Daniel, Mary, and Robert.


(From Daniel)
My Korean tutor is named Hazel. She is a very nice person and she makes tutoring fun. For instance, she had me make flash cards the other day and I got to choose my words instead of her just giving me some.  So I chose my words and she added some phrases in like I am and my. I used those phrases to make sentences like nah nun cho tah. (nah nun= I am cho tah=good) Another thing she has done with me is taken me for a tour around the campus, telling me all the names of the buildings in Korean. That was my very first lesson. I have only had two lessons so far and another lesson later today but I can tell this is going to be very fun.                                                                                   That’s all for now.

(From Mary)
There is a lake on campus that I like to visit.  I've been there four or five times and it never seems to get old. It's only a ten minute walk through the forest on a dirt road.  Every time I see something new or I walk over to a new spot around the lake.  I love to walk to the lake to take pictures.

On the way there, there is a swing hanging from a branch on a tree.  The thing I like about it is, it looks very old.  I think the ropes will soon brake while someone is using it if they are too rough.  I hope it won't be me! The swing is the reason I like to go to the lake so much.  There are many wild flowers on the path.  They are so pretty.

My first time going there was the WORST TIME EVER!!!!! Right when we got there, it started to rain very hard.  We ran through a "short-cut" as Katie and Susie call it.  We ran through bushes and plants up hills and down, but it was so muddy!  When going down a steep ditch, I slipped and fell.  I landed on a mostly dry spot and didn't get too muddy which was a relief.  Robert struggled to get around that spot and losing his balance.  He didn't want to get his injured arm wet.  Robert hurt his arm while riding a scooter down a hill.  He crashed onto the cement.  He had many scratches and bruises.  We all ran and felt like prisoners running from the concentration camp during the war.  It was a little scary.  Finally when we got back to the campus the rain stopped.  We all walked to our apartments wet and muddy and we never even got to see the lake.

As I said earlier, I've been there many times since.  My brothers haven't gone though.  I hope to have many picnics there.  

There are a few spots where you can see the forest, ocean, and mountains.  There are so many trails around campus that I haven't explored yet but I am sure the lake will remain one of my favorite places.

Bye!

(From Robert)

I’ve got to do such awesome things in Korea and gone to so many fun places. 
I like to go into Pohang on the shuttle bus. We usually go to Jukdo market, Fun Street, or McDonald's street. I like Fun Street the best. On Fun Street there’s a man-made river right down the middle.  My favorite store on Fun Street is the Artbox I like it because they have CANDY!!! We call McDonald's  street that because there’s a McDonald's there. It tastes the same as in America, but just maybe better. Jukdo market is an open air market that sells just about everything from food-clothes-blankets-toys.

There are so many restaurants on campus like Hyoam, Twelve Baskets, and Farms and Barly.  Hyoam  has really good Korean food. Twelve Baskets has a bunch of stations that have different kinds of food.  Farms and Barly have very good pizza with weird flavors like potato and bacon and bulgalbi.

That’s all folks!


(Photos Mary took with her iTouch before mom dropped it and broke it.)


The trail to the lake.
Going to the lake with friends.



 You can see the ocean beyond the hills.


Turnip patches.


Bamboo Tree Forest.

 Wait!  I think I have a rock in my shoe.

A nice place to rest and enjoy the lake.  There are lots of places to sit and enjoy the view(s)





Enjoying the swing with friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment