Pop Chinn Stew. That's what Ken called his circumstantial evidence case he tried in 1983 as a young Deputy DA. I listened as he painted a wonderful word picture of his father putting together various ingredients to make a delicious pot of stew. It's been 30 years but that image of his father making the stew hasn't left my mind. In honor of Ken's dad, Vernon Chinn, we want to make some Chinn Stew of our own. Stop by from time to time and enjoy some Chinn Stew as we share some of our family happenings.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Church in Korea


Today I had the fun of spending some time discussing this morning's message at church with a small discussion group consisting of a visiting lecturer with Wycliffe Bible Translators and two graduate students, one from Myanmar and the other from the Inner Mongolian province of China. How often do you get to travel across the world to an exotic place like Korea and meet with such interesting people? I felt like I needed to pinch myself. I wrote their names down to invite them to dinner and will try and figure out how we might be able to visit their countries before returning to California next year. Handong University has students here from all over the world - many of them very troubled places. What a contrast this is to the image of the world you get from watching protestors on the news.

While I'm on the subject of pinching myself, I cannot find the words to describe how much I enjoy the worship services here in Korea. A big part of it is simply being in a college community. I had a very similar experience when I visited the student chapel back at the Deerfield campus of Trinity University near Chicago. There is so much joy expressed in their worship. Many simply can't stand still and the feeling is infectious. Thankfully I am able to contain the impulse to be too expressive. My spirit is willing, but my flesh is totally incapable of expressing itself in a way that would be a blessing to the others present! And the preaching - I am used to outstanding preaching and am finding that here as well. We are going through the book of Nehemiah, verse by verse. Afterwards many of us stay around for discussion groups concentrating on personal application of what we studied that morning (see the first paragraph for today's discussion group.) All of this within a 5 minute walk from our front door.

Susan and I just got back from a ride on the shuttle into Pohang to try a new market. We are laying in supplies to feed the students from my classes a taste of Southern California - some home cooked Mexican food. I asked them if they wanted Western food or Korean and all of them chose Western (they are young, adventurous and eat Korean all the time.) The only compromise we've had to make on our menu of tacos and burritos is the use of flour instead of corn tortillas for the tacos. We haven't found a source yet for corn tortillas, but with time we'll track that down. They are even going to be introduced to guacamole thanks to a trip to Costco yesterday where they had fresh avocados for sale. We do plan on having some homemade kimchi as a side dish thanks to Susan's sister Mary's visit and talent for making this Korean spicy delicacy.

On the way back from Pohang, we met Dr Gale. She is a delightful 70+ year old professor with two Ph.D and three Masters degrees who teaches in the English department. She has been baptized both as a Catholic and a Presbyterian. At one point in her life she wanted to be a nun, but the sisters told her she was better suited to be part of the world.  She has been here 4 years and cannot imagine living anywhere else. The students have captured her heart. I know what she means by that expression, and one of these days I will try and explain what makes these students so special. Dr. Gale offered to help any of my students who needed assistance with their English writing skills. I have a growing perception the professors are every bit as endearing as the students.

One last cultural observation. On our trip to Costco in Daegu yesterday, I used the men's restroom at the train station. In Korea, it is not at all unusual to see an older Korean woman attendant in the men's rooms washing the floor and keeping things clean. This woman was clearly running things while she was in there and the men showed her respect. No one here seems the least bit startled by what would be rather unsettling in the states.

Ken Chinn

1 comment:

  1. You can find corn tortillas in Seoul! Should I bring some up on Friday? Or do you want to wait until you come here?

    ReplyDelete