Pop Chinn Stew. That's what Ken called his circumstantial evidence case he tried in 1983 as a young Deputy DA. I listened as he painted a wonderful word picture of his father putting together various ingredients to make a delicious pot of stew. It's been 30 years but that image of his father making the stew hasn't left my mind. In honor of Ken's dad, Vernon Chinn, we want to make some Chinn Stew of our own. Stop by from time to time and enjoy some Chinn Stew as we share some of our family happenings.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sad Daddy

Susan and the kids just headed out the door with Jane and Alana McCormick to drive up to Seoul for a few days.  Daddy is stuck at home since I am traveling to Hong Kong tomorrow for a conference.  I did not expect the strong emotions I felt as I waived good bye to the family.  As I walked back to an empty apartment I could almost feel tears welling up inside.  Thankfully work will keep me busy today and the conference in Hong Kong will fly by.

In Seoul, the Chinns and McCormicks will visit the DMZ separating North and South Korea.  I am told this is a wonderful tour which helps to understand the deep conflict in this area of the world.  Unfortunately, there has been a rash of angry and threatening broadcasts from North Korea in recent weeks and an expectation that North Korea will at least stage an international incident - many of which have been violent in the past.  I'm not really worried about something happening during the tour, but it heightens my concerns that I ought to be with them.  They also will be touring Seoul and enjoying the street food in one of the largest cities in the world.

Having Jane and Alana here for a visit has been a complete delight.  It was so good to see friends from home and catch up on what everyone is doing.  Unfortunately Ed was not able to make the trip due to still being in the recovery process from some recent foot surgery.  He has missed a fun time exploring Korea.  Yesterday we went to Kyung Joo - a historical city about an hour away from Pohang.  Korea is in the midst of the cherry blossom season which only lasts a couple of weeks.  They were in their full glory in Kyung Joo everywhere we went.  The kids and I had been there before, but it was Susan's first visit to see the historical sights.  Our explorations took us to beautiful temples that are 1500 years old and burial mounds for the ancient kings.  The mounds are often 40 feet high and conceal wooden chambers used to lay the kings to rest along with all they needed to equip them for the afterlife.  What a wonderful way to spend a Spring time day in Korea.


My trip to Hong Kong tomorrow is primarily to attend a conference for Advocates International.  There I will hear attorneys from around the world describe their work in areas where Christians are being persecuted for their faith.  I am  told it is a heart wrenching experience.  It is good to know my chosen profession takes such an active role in protecting the human rights of the weak.  It is a reflection of God's heart for his people.  We're hoping to find like minded Christians at the conference interested in attending HILS (Handong International Law School) in Korea where I have been teaching for the past year.  It will also be fun to see Hong Kong for the first time.  It is incredible how much our lives have changed in the past year.  Who would ever have imagined travel to Korea, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and now Hong Kong.  Mary has tucked a note into my suitcase reminding me that Hong Kong is a wonderful place to find souvenirs for your children.

So, we'd appreciate prayer for everyone's travels over the next couple of days.  Jane and Alana fly back to California on Saturday and Susan is thinking of driving back home that same day.  The soon to be happy again Daddy will be flying back, souvenirs in hand, on Monday. 

2 comments:

  1. Many blessings and prayer your way! Thank you for always being great hosts and inviting me to your home! It means so much to me, being away from my family and all!

    ReplyDelete