Pop Chinn Stew. That's what Ken called his circumstantial evidence case he tried in 1983 as a young Deputy DA. I listened as he painted a wonderful word picture of his father putting together various ingredients to make a delicious pot of stew. It's been 30 years but that image of his father making the stew hasn't left my mind. In honor of Ken's dad, Vernon Chinn, we want to make some Chinn Stew of our own. Stop by from time to time and enjoy some Chinn Stew as we share some of our family happenings.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Chinn family bellies up to a bar!

Susan and I have been hearing about a bar named Tilts in Pohang run by US expats that cooks really good American food.  Last week Susan and I hitched a ride with several friends to give it a try.  I had a rack of BBQ ribs and Susan gave the Philly cheese steak a try - each dish served with cajun fries.  They were an instant hit.  This was food that tasted like home.  We learned from a Philadelphia born expat that anything that called itself a Philly cheese steak was not a real cheese steak.  In Philadelphia it is simply called cheese steak.  Still, he admitted, this one was pretty good compared to the one's back home.  Last night we loaded the kids on the free shuttle and took them to dinner at Tilts.  We ran into a couple of other families we know that had the same idea.  Imagine a bar with about a dozen kids having a party as their parents enjoyed the good cooking.  At the dinner hour there were few if any bar patrons, so we had the place largely to ourselves.  The manager is named Teddy.  He loves kids and made quite a fuss over all of them.  I had a burger and Susan had buffalo wings.  I should mention the fries come with a large cup of catchup.  In Korea, you are given one small packet of catchup with fries.  If you ask for more, you get a second packet.  This is true even at McDonalds.  The Koreans don't understand the American craving for catchup.  The real hit of the night was the discovery that the bar now has a source for homemade apple pies from a trained pastry chef.  I ordered a piece and it rivaled the best apple pie I've ever eaten.  Lots of cinnamon, a buttery flaky crust and freshly sliced slightly tart apples.  It may well have been the best apple pie I've ever eaten, but I'm reluctant to give it that recognition since my taste was probably influenced by the many months that have passed since I've tasted homemade apple pie.  Susan gave it a taste and agreed it was delicious.  The weather is turning colder almost every day.  I am reminded that winter cannot be far away.  We see more and more sweaters, jackets and even heavier coats starting to appear.  We're hoping to visit more historical sights this weekend.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment